Soccer News, Rumours, Results and Analysis

Soccer News and Rumours

Saturday 6 July 2013

SHAQIRI: THIS COULD BE MY BREAKTHROUGH YEAR

Bayern Munich winger Xherdan Shaqiri is hopeful of enjoying a breakthrough year under new coach Pep Guardiola.

The 21-year-old hit a second-half hat-trick on Friday to set die Roten on their way to a comfortable 13-0 victory to lift the Paulaner Cup and he is hopeful such form will lead to greater first-team opportunities next term.
Shaqiri wants to force into Bayern first team
"It was my first friendly match after vacation and we all had a lot of fun. I was particularly keen to be playing again at last, and I think it was obvious to everyone watching," the Switzerland international told the club's official website.

"I played a lot of games last season, but obviously I'm now looking to take the next step. I want to be starting the important matches too.

"Last year was superb because absolutely everything worked out. We have the potential for another superb year."

The Bavarians made headlines for their €37 million swoop for Mario Gotze, but Shaqiri is unfazed, insisting they can co-exist: "It's not a problem, because we could play together. At the end of the day, it's the coach’s decision."

Captain Philipp Lahm lauded the training expertise Guardiola brought to the mix and Shaqiri also took time to pay tribute to how his new coach was helping him progress as a player.

"I really like his [Guardiola's] training sessions," he concluded. "I like the football we're playing. After all, I’m a fan of attacking play.

"You do have to think a bit and listen hard to make sure you do the training right. We have to be very focused."

No comments:

Post a Comment