Soccer News, Rumours, Results and Analysis

Soccer News and Rumours

Monday 8 July 2013

NEWCASTLE STAR WANTS TO FINISH CAREER IN ARGENTINA

Newcastle United midfielder Jonas Gutierrez has revealed that, while he is happy with life at St James' Park, he plans to finish his playing career in Argentina.

The former Mallorca star joined the Magpies back in 2008 and has gone on to feature in almost 200 games as a first-team regular at the club.

Gutierrez started 34 Premier League games during the 2012-13 campaign as Newcastle ended a disappointing season in 16th place and although he is keen to remain in England's top flight, a return to his native country is part of his future plans.

"I want to return to Argentina," he told Goal. "I've loved being with this club for many years but I also know you have to be at one hundred per cent.


Newcastle star Gutierrez wants to finish career in Argentina


"And, today, the Premier League is very demanding, very physical. When I am 33 or 34, I'll see if I am physically fit to hold my own at that level.

"The Premier League is the best league in the world. I do not think back to what I accomplished in the past, I enjoy every day.

"I'm 30 years old and I begin to see the end because the guys who come in are younger and it makes everything more difficult. So I try to improve and I'll start my sixth season here and enjoy it."

Toon skipper Fabricio Coloccini was the subject of intense transfer speculation during the 2012-13 season having revealed his desire to return to Argentina, but Gutierrez is hoping his fellow countryman will remain at Newcastle.

"Colo is the captain and that's important. He is the voice of the locker room and everyone respects him a lot," he continued.

"He is a great player and a great person. He is essential for our defence, is our captain and the commanding voice. There are many things that he has won over so many years.

"Losing him could have been very difficult, but football changes a lot, you can not know what will happen. Today he is here in Newcastle and hopefully he will be for many years."

No comments:

Post a Comment