Soccer News, Rumours, Results and Analysis

Soccer News and Rumours

Saturday 29 June 2013

ROMA ICON, PERROTTA SET TO RETIRE

Roma icon Simone Perrotta has announced his imminent retirement from professional football.

The midfielder was part of the Italy squad that triumphed in the 2006 World Cup and has been runner-up in four Scudetti during his Giallorossi career.

However, the 35-year-old has decided that it is time to hang up his boots and insisted that he would rather end his career at the capital club than spend the twilight of his playing days at a lesser team.
Roma veteran Perrotta announces retirement
"I definitely won’t stay on at Roma as a player," he told Teleradiostereo. "I don’t think I’ll continue playing at all, in fact, as I’d prefer to end my career as an ex-Roma player rather than at another club.

"I wanted to finish my playing days with this jersey and I feel it’s the right thing to do."

The Italian hinted at a potential coaching role at the Stadio Olimpico and believes that fans have a lot to look forward to in the 2013-14 campaign under new coach Rudi Garcia.

"It is possible my story with Roma could continue in a different way," Perrotta added. "It is only right that their project continues moving forward with the players they consider to be valid.

"The club has plans and will spend money to reinforce the squad, while the coach seems a good person who won in France and can have success here."
Although he enjoyed a fruitful career, the midfielder revealed his gutting disappointment that his final game for Roma was a derby defeat in the Coppa Italia to Lazio.
He said: "The real regret is my last game, which shouldn’t have ended that way and it’s a painful disappointment I will probably never get over. That’s not how it was supposed to end."

No comments:

Post a Comment