Soccer News, Rumours, Results and Analysis

Soccer News and Rumours

Friday 28 June 2013

GIACCHERINI: I WAS SUPPOSED TO TAKE MISSED PENALTY

Emanuele Giaccherini has revealed he was supposed to take the penalty that Leonardo Bonucci missed in Italy's Confederations Cup semi-final shoot-out failure against Spain.

The versatile Bianconeri winger was meant to accept the responsibility of converting the Azzurri's seventh spot kick in Fortaleza but he passed the buck to Bonucci, who blazed high over the bar, allowing Jesus Navas to decide the game - which had finished 0-0 after 120 minutes - in la Roja's favour.
Giaccherini: I was supposed to take Bonucci's penalty against Spain
"I didn't go to take a penalty because, being honest, I didn't feel it," Giaccherini is quoted as saying by Gazzetta.it.

"I spoke with Bonucci. I said, 'Leonardo, you go', because I was convinced he would have scored. It's a shame. Unfortunately, it's always a lottery.

"But it was a great performance by Italy. We played a great game. This time, we were unlucky, but we put Spain in difficulty by imposing our game on them."

Giaccherini, though, is hoping his impressive performances in the Confederations Cup will see him return to Brazil next year for the World Cup.

"It would be a life's dream," he continued. "I have done so much to get into the national team. Therefore, I will strive to hold onto this place tightly."

Giaccherini, who netted in Italy's 4-2 defeat by Brazil in the group stages, has been capped 13 times by his country.

No comments:

Post a Comment