Soccer News, Rumours, Results and Analysis

Soccer News and Rumours

Sunday 30 June 2013

ROBSON: ARSENAL NEED FELLAINI NOT ROONEY

Former Arsenal midfielder Stewart Robson feels the Gunners should buy Marouane Fellaini and not Wayne Rooney if they are to end their trophy drought this season.

 Rooney is determined to leave the Red Devils this summer, but Robson feels he is not quite the right fit for Arsenal.
Arsenal need Fellaini not Rooney to win the Premier League, says Stewart Robson
“To take Wayne Rooney, who everybody says that the problem he had with Sir Alex Ferguson was concerned with his fitness levels and how he was looking after himself, now I’m not sure that Arsene Wenger is the sort of confrontational manager who is going to pull Wayne Rooney to one side and say, I’m not happy with this I’m going to leave you out of the side because of this," he told talkSPORT.

“So I think it might be be a problem and Wayne Rooney I think, is slightly on the wane, he’s lost a yard of pace. Would he be a good player for Arsenal? Would he take them to the next level? I think he would improve them, I’m just not sure he’s the player Arsenal need to go on to become champions of Europe or champions of the Premier League."

Arsenal have already made Fellaini a contract offer after activating his release clause and Robson feels he would be a great signing and would bring balance to the Gunners.

“Arsenal need a real strong backbone in that midfield. I would go and get Fellaini if he’s available," he added.

"I’ve seen him play many different roles for Everton. I’ve seen him come to the Emirates before and play a defensive role and he’s been the outstanding player on the field. I’ve seen him go and play as an attacking midfielder and go and show good strength and win balls in the air.

"He does things simply on the ball. He’s not going to be an expansive passer but Arsenal have got those expansive players, they need to now get a balance between the creative side and the more destructive side, the more dynamic side of the game, you can't have one without the other."

No comments:

Post a Comment