Soccer News, Rumours, Results and Analysis

Soccer News and Rumours

Monday, 8 July 2013

WEST BROM BLAST CHELSEA OVER PLAYER BID

West Brom have confirmed they have turned down a compensation offer from Chelsea for academy product Isaiah Brown.

The 16-year-old midfielder has been tracked by several Premier League clubs since making his first-team debut against Wigan last season, and is now on the verge of a move to Stamford Bridge.
West Brom blast Chelsea over Isaiah Brown bid
The Baggies are due at least £209,000 compensation under Elite Player Performance Plan rules but the club’s sporting and technical director Richard Garlick insist they deserve more.

"We are disappointed by Chelsea’s offer," he told the club’s official website.

"We have invested a lot of time and money in Isaiah’s development as a player. As one of our most exciting academy products in recent years, we had hoped to bring him through into our first team.

"But Chelsea have forced our hands and we are more than prepared for the matter to be decided by a tribunal if needs be.

"More importantly, it makes you question why these young players are joining bigger clubs when they are likely to gain more first-team opportunities in the Barclays Premier League at clubs similar to us."

Brown has won three England Under-17s caps and two for the Under-16s, scoring his first goal in a 4-3 friendly defeat to Germany in February.

Two months later he became the second youngest-ever Premier League player when he came on as a late substitute against Wigan, aged 16 years and 117 days.

WIGAN SIGN NORWICH STRIKER

Striker Grant Holt has joined Wigan from Norwich on a three-year deal.
The news that Holt's switch for an undisclosed fee had been completed was announced by the two clubs simultaneously this evening on their respective official websites.
Regarding the capture of the 32-year-old, Wigan boss Owen Coyle told www.wiganlatics.co.uk: "This is a fantastic piece of business for us at a really good price.
Soccer Norwich Grant Holt
"Grant is a proven goal-scorer at every level and he will definitely bring something new to the table that we were missing in the squad."
Holt, who was the Norwich club captain, scored 78 goals in 168 appearances for the Carrow Road outfit in all competitions.
He joined them from Shrewsbury in 2009 and helped them achieve back-to-back promotions in his first two seasons that took them from League One to the Premier League.
He will wear the number nine shirt for Wigan, who were relegated from the top flight last season, and is the seventh signing Coyle has made since he was appointed the club's new manager last month following Roberto Martinez's defection to Everton.
Coyle added: "There is already a great buzz about the place since the new boys have started coming through the door and this is another one that will really lift the place.

"He's been a hero to the fans at every club he's been at and I know the Norwich fans are sad to see him go, he's been one of the icons of their success in recent years. But now it's the Wigan fans' turn to enjoy him and we're all delighted he's coming on board."
Norwich's statement about Holt's move said: "Norwich City would like to thank Grant for his outstanding contribution to the club and wish him the very best in the next stage of his career."
Goalkeeper Scott Carson and striker Marc-Antoine Fortune are among the other new players to have arrived at Wigan this summer.
Confirmation of the Holt deal has come on the same day that frontman Arouna Kone's transfer from the Latics to Everton was announced.
Norwich boss Chris Hughton told www.canaries.co.uk: "Grant was an important part of what we managed to achieve in the Barclays Premier League last season.
"Of course before I came to the club (last summer) I was very aware of the magnificent job he had already done in the three years prior to that as well. When we look back I'm sure we will all agree that to score the amount of goals he has done for the club in that time is a remarkable achievement. Myself and all of the staff certainly wish him all the best for his time at Wigan."
Norwich finished 11th in the Premier League last term, a campaign in which Holt scored eight times.

MARSEILLE AGREE DEAL FOR MENDY

Olympique de Marseille have agreed a deal with Le Havre for the transfer of defender Benjamin Mendy.
France Under-19 international Mendy made 28 appearances in Ligue 2 last term as Le Havre finished sixth, 10 points off the promotion spots.
Marseille agree deal for Mendy
Premier League side Sunderland had also come to an agreement over the 19-year-old, but he has seemingly opted to remain on home shores and complete a switch to Stade Velodrome.
"Olympique de Marseille and Le Havre AC have reached an agreement for the transfer of the player Benjamin Mendy," Marseille confirmed on their official website.
Elie Baup's side have already sealed the signature of France international winger Dimitri Payet from Lille in a move worth a reported €10 million.

CHELSEA TARGET HANDS IN TRANSFER REQUEST

Aston Villa have confirmed Christian Benteke has handed in a transfer request and the striker will be allowed to leave if a suitable offer is made 'within an appropriate timeframe.'
Benteke was a revelation for Villa last season after his £7million arrival from Genk and he scored 19 goals in the Premier League.
The Belgium international was a key figure in helping Villa to retain their top-flight status and he has subsequently been linked with a summer move.
Soccer Aston Villa Christian Benteke
The likes of Atletico Madrid, Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur are among the clubs who are reported to have shown an interest in the 22-year-old.
Villa have now confirmed that Benteke has asked to leave the club, but have rejected claims the powerful forward refused to travel on the pre-season trip to Germany.

A club statement read: "In response to reports that Christian Benteke has not traveled to Germany with the club and has made a transfer request, we can confirm that both are accurate. For clarity's sake, however, he had already been given extra time off until July 18 and was reminded that there are three years remaining on his contract.
"We consider him to be a Villa player and expect that he will be with us for the 2013-14 season. Having received his transfer request, we have also informed him that should we receive an offer within an appropriate timeframe during pre-season which meets our valuation we would act upon it. But he will remain a Villa player should this not happen."
Villa manager Paul Lambert has expressed his disappointment at Benteke's request, but remains hopeful that the player will stay at the club.
Lambert said: "While we're hugely disappointed that Christian has put in a transfer request, it's important that people appreciate we are trying to build something strong and vibrant here at the club, something this club demands and stands for, and we want Christian to be part of that."

ROBSON: MANCHESTER UNITED DON'T NEED TO ADD A MIDFIELDER

Former Manchester United captain Bryan Robson insists the arrival of a top-class midfielder this summer is not crucial to the Red Devils' hopes of defending their Premier League title.

United are currently in negotiations to sign Barcelona midfielder Thiago and have offered him a £6.2 million-per-year contract.


'Manchester United don't need a new midfielder'


But Robson, who spent the majority of his playing career in that position, believes the balance of the team is more important than focusing on any one individual to pull the strings.

"I know with the Manchester United fans, they are used to having a really dominant central midfield player," he told the club’s official website.

"But I think what the fans have got to look at is: Is the balance of the squad pretty good anyway without having that type of player in? You've got to say 'yes' as we won the title by 11 points.

"Now, of course you always want to improve but you've got to look at the balance of Antonio Valencia, Ashley Young, Tom Cleverley, Michael Carrick, Ando [Anderson] and the rest.

"They are still very, very good players but you've got to look at the balance and is that right, rather than go out and try to get an individual who you must rely on all the time."

MANCHESTER UNITED'S TARGET OPEN TO PSV EXIT

Kevin Strootman is open to leaving PSV this summer as he looks to boost his chances of a place at next summer's World Cup.

The likes of Manchester United and Roma have long been linked with a move for the midfielder, although no concrete offers have yet been put forward to the Eredivisie runners-up.
Strootman open to PSV exit
Strootman has now revealed there is significant interest in his signature - although not from any of Europe's elite - and confirmed he would consider leaving his current club.

“There are several clubs interested, but only when they reach an agreement with PSV do I come into the picture,” he told Voetbal International.

“This is not to say that any are in the world's top six.

“There is also interest from Russia, but that is not an option for me. I do not make hasty decisions about my future.

“It was very unfortunate that so many players left PSV [this summer]. I did not expect Dries Mertens and Erik Pieters would leave the club.”

After captaining the Netherlands U-21 squad to the semi-finals in this year’s European Championship, Strootman has now set his sights on cementing himself in the plans of senior coach Louis van Gaal ahead of the World Cup next summer.

“The opinion of Louis van Gaal is also very important to me with the World Cup in Brazil next year," he continued.

Strootman, whose contract runs through the 2015-16 season, has spent two seasons with PSV since joining from Utrecht, starting 62 Eredivisie matches for the club.

NEWCASTLE STAR WANTS TO FINISH CAREER IN ARGENTINA

Newcastle United midfielder Jonas Gutierrez has revealed that, while he is happy with life at St James' Park, he plans to finish his playing career in Argentina.

The former Mallorca star joined the Magpies back in 2008 and has gone on to feature in almost 200 games as a first-team regular at the club.

Gutierrez started 34 Premier League games during the 2012-13 campaign as Newcastle ended a disappointing season in 16th place and although he is keen to remain in England's top flight, a return to his native country is part of his future plans.

"I want to return to Argentina," he told Goal. "I've loved being with this club for many years but I also know you have to be at one hundred per cent.


Newcastle star Gutierrez wants to finish career in Argentina


"And, today, the Premier League is very demanding, very physical. When I am 33 or 34, I'll see if I am physically fit to hold my own at that level.

"The Premier League is the best league in the world. I do not think back to what I accomplished in the past, I enjoy every day.

"I'm 30 years old and I begin to see the end because the guys who come in are younger and it makes everything more difficult. So I try to improve and I'll start my sixth season here and enjoy it."

Toon skipper Fabricio Coloccini was the subject of intense transfer speculation during the 2012-13 season having revealed his desire to return to Argentina, but Gutierrez is hoping his fellow countryman will remain at Newcastle.

"Colo is the captain and that's important. He is the voice of the locker room and everyone respects him a lot," he continued.

"He is a great player and a great person. He is essential for our defence, is our captain and the commanding voice. There are many things that he has won over so many years.

"Losing him could have been very difficult, but football changes a lot, you can not know what will happen. Today he is here in Newcastle and hopefully he will be for many years."

ALONSO DISMISSES TRANSFER RUMOURS TO CHELSEA AND LIVERPOOL

Real Madrid midfielder Xabi Alonso has refuted rumours linking him with a return to the Premier League.

Former club Liverpool has been mooted as a potential destination for Alonso, while Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho, who managed the 31-year-old at the Bernabeu for the last three seasons, is thought to be interested in luring the Spaniard to Stamford Bridge.


Real Madrid midfielder Alonso dismisses Premier League speculation


Mourinho oversaw his first training session since returning for a second spell as Chelsea manager on Tuesday, but Alonso appears unlikely to join him in London.

"The Premier League? No. No way no chance," Alonso is quoted as saying by AS when asked about the prospect of working with Mourinho for a second time.

Specualtion over Alonso's future at Real is unlikely to go away, however, with the Spain international out of contract in June 2014 and able to leave the Santiago Bernabeu for free at the end of next season.

A mainstay of Mourinho's Madrid side, Alonso made 47 appearances in all competitions last term, but a possible move for Real Sociedad midfielder Asier Illarramendi could see his playing time limited next season.

GALLIANI: MILAN MUST MOUNT SERIOUS TITLE CHALLENGE

AC Milan have enough about them to mount a serious title challenge, according to the club's vice-president Adriano Galliani.

Milan finished third in Serie A last season following a miraculous recovery in the second half of the campaign whilst they also reached the last 16 of the Champions League, eventually being defeated by Barcelona.
Galliani: Milan targeting top-three finish
But Galliani says it is vitally important they finish in the top three again and is hoping for an extended run in the Champions League.

 “The last season was a difficult one for us,” he told reporters. “We had a rough start but a beautiful final stretch.

“So we go into the new season without any psychological issues.

“Our goals are to get back into the Champions League, to try and go as far as possible in that competition and win the Coppa Italia.

“To finish first, second or third is crucial. Everyone knows that the economic advantages of the Champions League are huge.”

Galliaini also revealed they are still in talks with Santos over the transfer of Robinho. The Brazilian has been linked with a move back to his homeland but no deal has been finalised yet.

Milan are looking to acquire the services of Fiorentina's Adem Ljajic and CSKA's Keisuke Honda as replacements for the 29-year-old.

He added: “Negotiations are underway with Santos. The boy [Robinho] wants to go home.

“There are still some things to be sorted out though.

“Ljajic? There have been some rumours, and I will not deny it.

“Honda? We hope to get him to Milan in January.”

GOMEZ THANKS BEST CLUB IN THE WORLD, BAYERN

Mario Gomez has issued a heartfelt thank you to former club Bayern Munich as he prepares for life with new club Fiorentina.

The Germany international inked a four-year-deal with the Serie A club just a month after completing a remarkable treble with the European champions, and he admitted he will leave the club with something of a heavy heart.
Gomez thanks 'best club in the world' Bayern
“Dear fans, it is time to announce that I'll be leaving the club with a weeping and a laughing eye,” he posted on his official Facebook page.

“I would like to thank you fans and of course my team-mates, the staff and all the people at Bayern for the sensational support you gave me.

“It was a great time at the best club in the world. I am very grateful for the great experience that I could made here in these four years.”

“Now begins a new chapter for me and I look forward to joining my new club Fiorentina, as well as the city, the country, the language and the culture... and of course the delicious food.

“I will be still very connected to Munich and this great club and wish the team all of the best and much success. I’m sure they will remain the best team in the world with this great coach next year.

“Once again many thanks, especially to fans. Your Mario.”